Are All Reasons For Rejecting God Purely Intellectual?

There are many emotional reasons why many atheists don’t want God to exist. There are intellectual difficulties with The Bible. People are skeptical sometimes about this God who is invisible and intangible. These people just seem to be skeptical by nature and so their skepticism drives them to a worldview known as atheism. However, over the past 100 years, many proofs have been discovered that provide powerful scientific evidence for God’s existence (such as The Big Bang, The Fine Tuning Of The Universe, information in DNA and irreducibly complex machines like the bacterial flagellum). Moreover, there is good historical evidence for the resurrection of Jesus (which can be read about in books such as “The Case For Christ” by Lee Strobel) I think the problem of evil and suffering has also been solved as far as being an intellectual barrier to believing in God.

  Many atheists have looked into the evidence for The Bible and have become Christians because of it (such as Lee Strobel, Holly Ordway, Kirk Cameron, and C.S Lewis). There are emotional reasons in addition to intellectual reasons why a person would not want God to exist. I know one of the reasons is because some people love their sins too much to want to repent (whether it be sexual immorality, or anything else God wants us not to do). I know Lee Strobel and Kirk Cameron said the moral obstacle was one of theirs, but I know that not every atheist is bias towards atheism because of moral reasons. There are other emotional reasons, but I didn’t really know what a lot of these are. Josh Mcdowell didn't want God to be real because he hated the idea of having a Heavenly Father because he had such a bad experience with his earthly father (heard him say this at an Apologetics Conference in Charlotte NC).

I think a lot of atheists don’t have anymore intellectual difficulty in believing The Bible. I think a lot of these people are living in denial for emotional reasons. Now I have had intellectual difficulty with The Bible myself at times (in fact, I'd like to get around to typing up a list of what they were and how I resolved them) so don’t get me wrong, I do realize that many actual objections to The Bible exist but it seems like there’s enough evidence to convince ANYONE. Yes, I have had some intellectual difficulty with The Bible myself before, but I have NEVER had any emotional obstacles to coming to Christ so I have a hard time relating to these people who do. So, I went and made a post in a Facebook group called “Christian Apologetics Alliance” and I asked that everyone there who used to be an atheist to tell me in the comment section what kind of emotional obstacles they had to coming to faith in Jesus Christ. This is what they said:

BLAKE GUINTA quoted these atheist:
Thomas Nagel: [A fear of religion] has large and often pernicious consequences for modern intellectual life. [...] I speak from experience, being strongly subject to this fear myself: I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact... that some of the most intelligent and well informed people I know are religious believers. It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that. [The Last Word (Oxford, 1997)]

Peter van Inwagen: If, however, there is a rational being who has designed the universe for a purpose, who can say whether that being’s plans and mine are compatible or what the consequences might be if they are not? Chaos, having brought us into existence, is unlikely to make any demands on our time or attention; who can tell what a Logos might have in mind for us? A special case of this sort of motivation is nicely expressed in a little verse by Arthur Hugh Clough: “There is no God,” the wicked saith, “And truly it’s a blessing, For what he might have done with us It’s better only guessing.” But this motivation can be generalized beyond the case of a God who has moral concerns and punishes the wicked. If, moreover, “life, the universe, and everything” are the result of mere chance, one may well be one of the more important and impressive beings in existence [...] There are a great many people who would be quite taken aback by an invitation to move to a world in which human beings had been created to serve the purposes of a Logos [Metaphysics 3rd ed.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAM HARPER:
“There are lots of emotional reasons I've heard for people not wanting God to exist. I'll list some off the top of my head.

1. If God exists, then he's a big disappointment (because maybe he let my kid die, or I have it worse than other people, etc.).

2. If God exists, then I've got a dictator I cannot escape from. I've either got to bow down and worship this tyrant for eternity or else spend eternity in torment, and there's no escape.

3. If God exists, then I can't love a man the way other men love women.

4. If God exists, then he's not worth worshipping because of all the suffering that goes on in the world.

5. If God exists, then I'd rather not know because there's an atheist hottie I want to go out with, and she doesn't like guys who believe in God.

6: If God exists, then I don't have any privacy. Not only can I not use the bathroom without being watched, but he even knows my thoughts!

7: If God exists, then I can't do anything easy to alleviate my loneliness. I can't hire a prostitute, I can't have an affair with my neighbor's wife, and I can't even have a friend with benefits.”

SAM HARPER ALSO SAID
“I was never an atheist, but I was agnostic for a while in my early 20's. I remember having mixed feelings about whether I wanted God to exist or not. Sometimes I didn't want God to exist just because I didn't want to keep worrying about it. Sometimes I didn't want God to exist because I thought it would be very liberating if he didn't. I wouldn't have to worry about doing the right thing. I wouldn't have to watch my P's and Q's”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

”Freud postulated that people wanted a God to exist to fill the Father figure role in their life, however, the antithesis to that is that those who don't want God to exist reject Father figures - or had bad Fathers on earth.”

Later God exposed me to thoughtful Christians and that particular wall came down.”

After all this, I’m hoping I identified one of YOUR emotional reasons for wanting God to not exist. Now, let me just say that the mature thing to do is to face the truth and deal with it. THE TRUTH IS THE TRUTH even if it’s a truth WE DON’T LIKE at first. The truth is the truth no matter what. If The Bible is true, we need to respond to Jesus’ offer of Salvation even if it means making radical life changes that we might not be comfortable with. Even if it means giving up immorality, even if means having to accept having a Heavenly Father (your Heavenly Father will be a much better father than any earthly father could EVER be, by the way), you need to accept His offer even if it means losing friends because “you’ve become religious”. If you’re a scientist, you might be opposed to accepting Christ because of the utter scorn in the scientific community if you accept the theory of Intelligent Design (which is not based on religious premises but does have religious implications, is not the same thing as creationism but it 100% compatible with both young earth and old earth creationism). Perhaps you’ve been treated badly by some Christians or at least people claiming to be Christians. Well, if that’s the case then I have 2 things to say to you, number 1; if you like our Christ but not our Christians, then follow our Christ out and our Christians. Number 2; just because some Christians might not walk the walk, then that means what? That Jesus never rose from the dead? That God doesn’t exist and we all got here by chance? Certainly not! The Bible’s truthfulness does not rely on whether all Christians actually try to live the way it says. People who reject Christ for this reason are committing the ad hominem fallacy, saying that the claims invalid because of the character making the claims. Even if the church were full hypocrites (which it's not) it wouldn't mean Christianity is untrue.

Perhaps you grew up in a very strict religious home and your parents were overbearing and suffocating with made up rules by their twisting of scripture. I remember my mother talking about these kids who lived on the same street that she did as a child. And those kid’s parents were (if I should be so kind) completely insane! Seriously, the things she told me that those parents forbade their children from doing made me begin to wonder if they weren’t Christians at all but in some kind of Bible based cult! Seriously, they were not allowed to watch any movies, the girls weren’t allowed to put any make up on and they thought Halloween was a holiday of the devil. Rock, Rap and Pop music, even the artists who make Christian themed lyrics like Skillet (rock) and Lecrae (rap). In fact John Cooper; lead singer of the Christian Rock band Skillet grew up with parents like this. He had to listen to bands like Metallica, AC/DC and Petra in secret. If you have had an experience like this, please know that The Bible does not condemn swimsuits, it does not condemn ANY genre of music.

If this is the case, I ask you, don’t let your bad experiences turn you off from having a relationship with Jesus Christ. Not all Christians are jerks, in fact I’d say the majority are not. Not all Christians are nutty like that family my mother had as neighbors when she was a child.

God loves you very much. He is not willing that anyone should perish but that all should have eternal life (2 Peter 3:9).

God REALLY doesn't want to send ANYONE to Hell. NOBODY! God took the form of a man and endured the punishment Himself. He took on a form of torture that's about as close to getting to torture in Hell as you can get.

God loves us like 20-30 times as much as as our parents (the GOOD ones) love us. In fact, when humans are born again John 1:12 says that we "gain the right to become CHILDREN OF GOD". So we're so precious to God that He considers us His children when we're reborn. But The Bible also says that God's love for us is never changing and that God loved us before the first star was even formed in the sky (before Creation). Since this is the case, He already loves us all as if we were His precious children (even Adolph Hitler and Osama Bin Laden).

God feels deep sorrow when He has to send Human beings to Hell...the same way earthly parents mourn over the physical deaths of their children. With love, there is always heartbreak. And since God's love is the GREATEST love of all...then I imagine His heart-break is the greatest of them all too.

My mother has told me before when I was very sick that she wished she could take on my pain and suffering so that I wouldn't have to endure it. I've heard other parents say similar things. The parents say things like that because they love their children so much that they can't stand to see them... suffer. They also mourn GREATLY when their children die because they loved them so much.

Jesus died by crucifixion to pay for the sins of every human being that ever lived.

"The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." - 2 Peter 3:9

By accepting Christ in your life, you might have to face some downsides. You may lose some friends, you might be ridiculed by other scientists (if you are one), you might have to give up some form of immorality (if you are immoral which I am NOT assuming you are). But the upsides far outweigh any persecution or feel good sins you would have to give up. You will have peace of mind, knowing that there’s a God who loves you and will take you your whole life and even when bad things happen, you can trust Him when He tells us in His holy word that He will work all things for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28). For more on this see my assessment on The Problem Of Evil And Suffering --> http://cerebralfaith.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-problem-of-evil-suffering.html

What’s more, is when you leave this life, you will go to Heaven and experience a joy like you’ve never felt before. A joy and sense of peace that is completely overwhelming, with the presence of love all around you. For those who also accepted the Christ and died before, you will see them again when your time comes. God loves you very much. He loves you more than any spouse you ever marry ever could. God loves you more than your parents ever could. God loves us so much that when we accept Him, He calls us His children (John 1:12). 2 Peter 3:9 and 1 Timothy 2:6 let us know that God wants ALL humans to be saved and to accept Him. So He wants to adopt all human beings as His children and when He has to send one to Hell for being evil or refusing to accept the way of escape that He has provided by the shedding of His human blood, it breaks His heart. But they have made the free choice to reject The Lord and cling to evil and/or apostasy.

Please don’t break His heart. Please respond to His call.

“For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son. Whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.” – John 3:16-17

It’s up to you. "This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now CHOOSE life, so that you and your children may live" - Deuteronomy 30:19

Please don’t resist The Holy Spirit. Let Him in!