Why I'm Against The Death Penalty



Why I’m Against The Death Penalty

There are Christians who are for the death penalty. Those who are the against the death penalty are usually considered to be liberals while the conservatives endorse capital punishment (which is another term for death penalty). Let me just say that I am not a liberal. My political views are that of a conservative. Let me also say that I personally cannot understand how any Christian could advocate capital punishment. I realize that people who get the death penalty have committed acts that are so horrible, so evil that they deserve to die. I don’t think the death penalty is unjust in the least. I don’t think anyone can argue against the fact that people like OJ Simpson, Charles Manson and James Holmes deserve to fry in the electric chair. There's no dispute over the fact that their crimes warrant their destruction. On the other hand, if we end the lives of these people their souls will go to Hell. These people have murdered innocent human beings. They have sinned horribly and although they deserve to go Hell, God does not want that. God says in His word that He’s “not willing that any should perish but for all to come to repentance” (2 Peter 3:9) and that He “wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth” (1 Timothy 2:4). If we kill evil people, they WILL go to Hell to burn for all eternity in the lake of fire. 

As Christians, we are called to “love our enemies” (Matthew 5:44) and to not repay evil for evil but with blessing (1 Peter 3:9). One of the best ways to love our enemies is to give them a chance to repent and be saved from eternal damnation. As passionately as Jesus loves them so much as to endure the horrific pains of crucifixion, I think it would be an insult to give them a one way ticket to the lake of fire by ending their lives. Now, I’m not against war or self defense. In those situations, the person really has no choice to but to end the life of the sinner lest their own life or the lives of their loved one’s come to an end, but when simple containment will suffice, I don’t think we should kill them for the sake of their eternal destiny. After all, if we can put them in prison, it’s not like their going to be hurting anyone outside of the prison.  Let them live a life of confinement so they shall not hurt others ever again, although they would be perfectly capable of harming an inmate in which case, you should probably isolate them but even then don’t kill them, just keep them locked up in a cell all by themselves with nothing but a Bible and a loving Father waiting to cover them in the blood He shed for them at Calvary.

I'm against capital punishment. Yes, they very much deserve to die, no one can possibly argue against that. But I just can't stomach the thought of where their souls are going after they're executed. I want them to have as much time to repent of their sins as possible. Going to Hell is the absolute worst thing that could ever happen to someone. Extreme suffering forevermore! Extreme suffering forevermore! I just care about them too much to let that happen to them. My Heavenly Father loves them enough to be tortured for them!

If you can contain a person, that will keep them from hurting others. I say let them live in their cages where they can't hurt anyone. If they never repent of their sins, God will administer the proper punishment in the afterlife (i.e eternal damnation), but if you cut them down now then all hope is lost of them ever getting saved.

Now God issued capital punishment in the OT, I realize that. And that's fine, God has the right to issue judgment whenever and wherever he wants to. He is God. He also knows if person X will ever repent should he live longer or not. God knows when looking at a person, that even if he were to give them hundreds more years to repent some people never would, but we don’t know that. We don’t know that if we were to let a particular murderer live a little bit longer whether they would receive Christ or not. Plus, I just don’t think we’re bound by the OT commandment to issue capital punishment. A lot of the Old Testament laws, we’re not bound to any longer. Really, I think we’re only bound to The 10 Commandments, and God’s prohibitions against beastiality, & incest. I think Jesus intended to convey that message when He told the Jews to “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone” when they wanted to stone the woman for adultery. Jesus let the adulteress live and she repented. But if He had let them go ahead and stone her, her soul most likely would NOT be where it is today. 

God let someone else who deserved the death penalty live as well. Remember Cain, Adam and Eve's son in the book of Genesis? Cain murdered his younger brother Abel out of jealousy because Abel was pleasing God and he wasn't and Cain hated him for that. God had mercy on Cain's soul. He could have destroyed his physical body and sent his soul to burn in the lake of fire (i.e Hell) but he didn't. God spared Cain's life and even placed a mark on Cain to warn others not to lay a hand on him. God promised that if anyone harmed Cain, He would avenge his death. God probably did this because He loved Cain in spite of his sin (just like He loves ALL of us in spite of our sins. Just like He loves me in spite of my sins. God wanted to give Cain time to get right with Him. He wanted to spend all eternity with Cain, just like He wants to spend all eternity with all of us. We don't know whatever happened to Cain *spiritually*. He may have repented and be in Heaven right now or may not have repented. But God spared his life for the sake of his eternal destiny. 

I wasn't always anti-death penalty. In fact, I used to be VERY pro-death penalty. I reveled in the thought of the destruction of human beings who would do such awful deeds. But ever since I received Christ, I've come to realize just how precious even the most evil, wretched, disgustingly twisted human being is to God. Because God because a man and suffered the horrific torture that we all deserve to go through in Hell. He took the torment for us so we wouldn't have to. Instead of reveling in their destruction, my soul aches and mourns for them. I have literally shed tears when I hear reports on the news that on that very day, a soul will be forever lost because they will be executed on that very day. However, on one occasion, a person DID get saved before they were executed. I praised Jesus because that person, although his physical life was taken from him, he will get it back again at the resurrection because he has placed his trust in Jesus Christ; the Creator of the universe...and had his sins absolved by the blood that He shed on the cross. 

I want everyone saved just like God does. I want people like James Holmes and others to have many, many, many years to repent and be saved from their sins. Yes, they don't deserve God's mercy. Yes, they deserve to die. Yes, they deserve to burn in Hell. But I also deserve to go to Hell. I have broken God's laws many, many times yet He has chosen to be tortured so that I wouldn't have to be. He chose to gave Himself up for me and for *anyone* who chooses to accept His offering of Salvation. 

----------------------------------------------------


"For this reason the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his slaves. When he had begun to settle them, one who owed him ten thousand talents was brought to him. But since he did not have the means to repay, his lord commanded him to be sold, along with his wife and children and all that he had, and repayment to be made. So the slave fell to the ground and prostrated himself before him, saying, 'Have patience with me and I will repay you everything.' And the lord of that slave felt compassion and released him and forgave him the debt. But that slave went out and found one of his fellow slaves who owed him a hundred denarii; and he seized him and began to choke him, saying, 'Pay back what you owe.' So his fellow slave fell to the ground and began to plead with him, saying, 'Have patience with me and I will repay you.' But he was unwilling and went and threw him in prison until he should pay back what was owed. So when his fellow slaves saw what had happened, they were deeply grieved and came and reported to their lord all that had happened. Then summoning him, his lord said to him, 'You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. 'Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, in the same way that I had mercy on you?' And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him. My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart." (Matthew 18:23-35) 

"There will be no mercy for those who have not shown mercy to others. But if you have been merciful, God will be merciful when he judges you." - James 2:13

"Make allowance for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others." - Colossians 3:13

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." - Matthew 5:38-44 

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse." - Romans 12:14